Sunday, April 24, 2011

gratitude, mindy style.

Photo of Mindy Kaling's new book from Amazon.
How did I not know this is coming? And now that I know this is coming, how am I supposed to wait until NOVEMBER? (You can pre-order here). I just found out about Mindy Kaling's book via The Happiness Project, where I've been going for a few years now for a pick-me-up when I'm feeling down. Now that my vacation is over, I'm feeling overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done at work.  So my mind was a little bit blown when I saw that Mindy was the latest subject of Gretchen's interview feature, and that she talked about just that:

Gretchen: What's something you know now about happiness that you didn't know when you were 18 years old?

Mindy: When I was 18 years old, I took a semester off from college and was an intern at Late Night With Conan O'Brien. It was the most glamorous job I ever had, and I idolized the writers there. I remember lying in bed every night telling myself that if I ever got a job as a comedy writer, I would be so happy and all my dreams would have come true. Six years later I got that job, working on The Office. I felt incredibly happy and grateful for a about a week, and then a whole new set of complaints set in. This would've shocked and disgusted my 18-year-old self. It's helpful to remember the younger version of me because it reminds me to feel grateful when I want to be snotty.

Thank you, Mindy and Gretchen, for helping to remind me to be grateful.  I am grateful that I HAVE my ideal job that has me overwhelmed with things that need to be done. 

Also, I love the title of that book.  It reminds me of my paranoid internal monologues, which feature gems such as, "Why is everyone else having more fun than I am?" and "How come everyone else's lives/houses/jobs are cooler/better/more glamorous than mine?" This is why I've reduced facebook time to once in a blue moon, if that. Perspective and gratitude-- I've gotta work for it, but it feels good when I find 'em.

Happy Easter, from our home to yours!  
 

1 comment:

  1. Mindy is the best thing about the Office, hands down. I can't wait to read her book. Tina Fey and Mindy coming out with a book in the same year?! Bliss.

    ReplyDelete